An artisanally crafted blog curated by Cooking Lager for discerning readers of beer bloggery

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

This is a local pub for local people, there is nothing for you here!



Many and varied are the types of establishment one can get a drink. From a trendy bar or restaurant to a grim dumpy pub, the choice is as they say all yours. Whilst the sensible choose a nice drink at home at reasonable cost, many like to throw hard earned money away drinking in grim pubs, and who are we, cooking lager enthusiasts, to criticise? If that’s what some people like to do, good luck to them. If the picture is too small, click on it for a bigger one.


In the spirit of beer brotherhood I present a pub called “The Albion” in Chester. I was in Chester recently and had a walk along the Roman wall to kill an hour before a meeting and encountered a sign for a family “hostile” pub that to be honest amused me more than it attracted me in. Good god, I’d rather have a tooth pulled than step foot in such a place, but heh ho, if it’s your cup of tea look it up.

I suspect the hostile and unwelcoming establishment has won awards from bearded types, and I suspect further they stock a wide range of pongy ale and could very well be full of old men in white beards fighting the good fight against chemical fizz and informing me “old scrote” is drinking well today. I hold no hope of a lovely fizzy ice cold pint of lout on a summer’s afternoon.

Enjoy, but please don’t expect us “normals” to ever get the appeal.

For the record I also saw a Slug and Lettuce offering buy one get one free on cocktails. Slippery nipple cheap grog fans?


10 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Well, he sets out his stall clearly so you know exactly what to expect. And, as you may recall, I got there first :p

Adrian Tierney-Jones said...

Yep I went in there once scouting it out for a possible review, completely innocent of the misanthropic blackboard, beer wasn’t that much cop, and I didn’t like the whole this, that and t’other barred, so that was it, and I don’t expect to ever go back either. House rules I know, but why bother going into a business that dispenses hospitality if this is the way you act. However, I got the feeling the place wasn’t the CAMRA stronghold you suggest — more like a Popular Front of UKIP types, golf club falangists and weird Guardian readers who are angry about the world.

Ed said...

Nearly as good as the Grindleford cafe was.

Cooking Lager said...

Had I remembered your post, Mudge, and known you like the gaff, I'd have popped in for a pint and graffiti'd the bogs for when you next take a leak!

Fair do's Ade, at least you went in!

Grindleford Cafe, Ed?

Ed said...

The Grindleford cafe was famous for the signs left everywhere by the eccentric owner: Children and parents were told to behave or both would be asked to leave. It was also made clear that mushrooms never have and never will be served. You were told that set menus were called that because they're set so won't be changed. There were loads of them. But my favourite was the one in the bog that said "Clean up your own shitty mess, we've had enough"!.

The owner died a year or two back so I don't know what it's like now.

Curmudgeon said...

See here re the Grindleford Station Café.

In fact I haven't been in the Albion for years, Cookie, but I will certainly make a point of doing so next time I'm in Chester.

Darren said...

used to go to a quiz night at an Albion in Melbourne. They had no rules until a mate had a thing with the managers Mrs. Cooky did you have a thing with the managers Mrs?

mellorview said...

I reckon I got there first !! I am clean shaven but I love it!

Birkonian said...

I drink in Chester quite often but never in this vile establishment. A change of name to 'The Daily Mail' would suit.

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ. I'm in Chester next month for my girlfriend's birthday.
I think I'm going to neck a couple of Special Brews before barging in and attempting to sample this fine pub's hospitality...