An artisanally crafted blog curated by Cooking Lager for discerning readers of beer bloggery

Thursday, 7 October 2010

Support Team Avery !


What’s better than blogging about beer blogging? Blogging about blogging about beer blogging, that’s what!

The beer blog league table is out again, on Mr Pete Browns Blog, and it’s got me all a thinking. I’m a big fan of Mr Zak Avery. I love his video blogs and his giant wine glass and pretty much everything about Mr Zak. Zak rocks! I don’t love him enough to stalk him. I’m not sat outside his house or anything, but even so I’ve decided that what is required is a bit of competition. Pick your team and get your team to the top.

I’ve decided to be in “Team : Avery”, which means a strategy is required to get Zak Avery to Number one in the beer blog league/charts! It’s not that I don’t like anyone else’s blog, but you’ve got to pick your favourite or there isn’t a game. We cannot let the league stagnate, we have to put a bit of competition in it.

How do we do this? Ripping off wikio :

How are these rankings compiled?

The position of a blog in the Wikio ranking depends on the number and weight of the incoming links from other blogs. These links are dynamic, which means that they are backlinks or links found within articles.

Only links found in the RSS feed are included. Blogrolls are not taken into account, and the weight of any given link increases according to how recently it was published. We thus hope to provide a classification that is more representative of the current influence levels of the blogs therein.

Only links found in RSS feeds are counted. Blogrolls are not taken into account.

Our rankings are updated on a monthly basis and also include Top Blogs for several categories: Technology, Politics, etc. New categories will be added on a regular basis.

Umm, so RRS feeds are required? Well I’ve added one. It’s in the top left hand corner, "Are you taking the Pith?" Be sure to click on it. Add an Avery RSS feed to your blog if you’ve got one, and support Team Avery!

Together we can change beer blogging for the better. We can have a dynamic league of competition red in tooth and claw. Together we can get Zak Avery to Number 1 !


Edit.

Thanks to Baron Orm,

10 Zak links per post for every supporter of Team Avery.:

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery

Mr Zak Avery


22 comments:

Montague said...

Great idea! Avery is bad ass!! Without question the most tolerant and polite. I don't even put him in the blogger scum category. He has his own shtick, which I like to refer to as just "Avery!!" To celebrate "Team Avery," I will re-record the classic track, "Over-sized Wine Glass." Look for it soon!

Cooking Lager said...

Mr Zak Avery is a gentleman, Montague. He deserves to be at No1.

Montague said...

Without question he is. He needs to pay Taylor of Old Bond Street a visit though. The Yusef Islam image can only go so far.

Baron Orm said...

I don't want to pour cooking lager on your parade cookie but what wikio means is that only links to Zak found in your blog's RSS feed are counted.

Wikio is subscribing to your blog via it's RSS feed and so can only see what you say if it's in there.

So only your normal blog posts are 'seen' by wikio, none of the sidebar guff is passed to wikio for review.

What you need to do to get Zak to number one (and I'll back Team:Avery as well!) is mention him as much as you can in your blog posts...

FYI your RSS feed can be found here in the bit on your blog called "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" -
http://cookinglager.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Hope this helps you get Zak to No. 1!

Cooking Lager said...

Nice one Baron, good to have you on board. Be sure to give Zak a mention throughout the month.

Tandleman said...

I'm supporting me. So, in this instance Zak can go forth and multiply.

Can't say (a bit like algebra) no matter how it is explained to me I understand how Wikio works. (If anyone mentions backlinks at this pointt, I'll ask Monty to stalk them.)

Cooking Lager said...

Do you a deal, Tand. Support Team Avery and if it works we'll create "Team Tand" the month after?

Eddie86 said...

Can't we all just take turns?

Mark, Real-Ale-Reviews.com said...

Thanks again for using my picture of Mr Avery without permission Cookie.

I reckon that's a other crate of (your choice of) lout you owe me for breach of copyright and creative commons license.

How shall we arrange payment and collection?

Cooking Lager said...

It's filthy thing the internet, mark. Full of twats with no respect for the value of copyright. As my favourite Avery pic, you keep account of how much basics lager I owe you for when I stop being a twat.

Professr Pie-Tin said...

He's got a long wait for his lout then.

ZakAvery said...

Oh God. Will it make any difference if I ask you to stop?

Cooking Lager said...

As the your the head of team avery, Zak, if you prefer to get to number one by "fair" means then we, your fans, will respect that. But team avery is availible, remember, fella.

Montague said...

Come on Peter, that was just friendly jest! Even some of your contemporaries enjoyed those tracks. I'll be up north next year. We can discuss!!

Tandleman said...

So was mine Monty, so was mine.

ZakAvery said...

Thanks Cookie. Much as I appreciate your support, I'd rather you directed your vote-rigging activities towards Strictly, X and the like.

Will you be in attending the Twissup? I've got a lovely golden tankard I'd love to see you drinking from.

Mark, Real-Ale-Reviews.com said...

You're the type of twat we need more of Cookie, so I'll settle for a pint of your preferred tipple.

If you like the pic so much I can send you a high resolution copy to frame on your bedside table?

Cooking Lager said...

I am popping along to piccadilly station to say hello to the bloggers, Zak. If only to say sorry to people. I was planning on turning up and claiming to be the pub curmudgeon.

It would be an honour to drink pong from your tankard. I'll be after an autograph too.

Montague said...

Hey, after we knight Avery, I think we should do the same to Peter and start Team Tandleman!!
He's doesn't have the social graces Avery has, but he's a helluva opponent when arguing over various beery things, including conditioning via exposure to air. He also rattled my cage a few times when Proper Real Keg was unleashed.
We'll get you to numero uno bro, you bet your ass!!!

Pete Brown said...

Cookie, it's all going Pete Tong.

I don't understand how this shit works at all, but blogger's just started doing this stuff where you can analyse all the stats for your own site, and according to that, since you wrote this post you've become the second most popular source of links to MY blog on the entire world wide web, after Twitter. You're simply going to have to delete any reference to me and my blog whatsoever if you want Team Avery to prosper. Take the links out, fella - go on, take 'em out.

btw - what would you REALLY do if I made Wikio start including you in the monthly rankings?

Cooking Lager said...

Nothing much I could do about it, Pete, it's just easier to take the mick if I'm not on the list.

Dave Thackeray said...

This is a magical bit of banter, of that there is no doubt.

Did you all graduate from the school of b3ta to get here? It's the only comprehensible answer to the following question:

"How do you get so many clever fellas in one place at one time, all united by a love of beer stains?"

Love it. And I'd actually quite like to see auld Cookie helm the rankings. The scribblings on this rag are wretchedly good.

Twissup, indeed.