An artisanally crafted blog curated by Cooking Lager for discerning readers of beer bloggery

Friday, 5 February 2010

Who has the best blog?

Who has the best blog? Why blog about beer when you can blog about blogging? Or even blog about blogs that blog about blogging? Two competing leagues appear to have cropped up in the beer blogosphere and as you might expect it all strikes me as being a bit of a “who has the biggest cock” competition with the only question really being answered being “who is the biggest cock”

Pete looks at the wikio rankings here with the zythophile having another league table here (thank you Tyson). Are there more than two? I’d love to know.

But what does it all mean? Is it relevant?

I understand the purpose of a football league. In a sport, the purpose of which is to win at a given game, there is a question to be asked. Who is the best team this season? Hence measuring performance on the basis of a given criteria, awarding points for wins and draws, you build a picture. At the end of the season the best team is at number one. A question both codes of rugby fail to answer by turning their leagues into a cup competition with a play off as the season closes.

Are we asking that question? Who has the best blog? If so why? My view of who has the best blog is based on who I enjoy reading. I won’t say but if I comment on your blog a lot, even to disagree or post stupid comments, you can assume I like it. I would not criticise any of the blogs as I enjoy them all, but there are ones I enjoy more than others. That view will be different from others. How would we measure that?

If popularity is the measure we are using to assess this, then by the same logic the Sun is the best newspaper in the land and Stella & Carling the best beers. That suits me. I like a can of lout and enjoy reading what today’s page 3 girl thinks of the days current events. But actually I think the FT is the best newspaper as it’s the only UK newspaper. All others are opinion and/or entertainment related to news that is already a day old.

As for little old me getting a mention in one of the leagues, I am wondering where the line is? I guess I’m playing whether I want to or not so do I need a top four finish in order to play in Europe?

Alternatively we could just ignore all this nonsense as the irrelevance it is and continue necking beer and writing about it on the assumption and slight arrogance that there might even be others interested in what we think, but even if there aren’t you’ve amused or satisfied yourself in the process?

Nar, I thought not. So who has the best blog? Only one way to find out. As Harry Hill says, FIGHT!


8 comments:

zythophile said...

Pete B v Roger P: Pete's got the advantage of youth, but Roger's got height and a better reach, so I dunno …

Cooking Lager said...

No offence to Pete but he’s a big lad, heavyweight classification. Protzy’s a lightweight but I suspect he’s got a nasty streak. A biter. If I were to run the book I’d want to know whether this was Marquis of Queensbury rules or street fighting before offering the odds.

Adrian Tierney-Jones said...

knowing the both of them I reckon it would be the sort of hand-bags at dawn playground shoving that gets Hansen shaking his noggin on MOTD…

The Beer Nut said...

Careful, Cookie. Questioning the rankings could put you in the relegation zone. You don't want to spend next season a league division down, blogging about fashion.

Rob said...

Dammit! I didn't even make the rasnkings. I need to promote my stuff more and tighten up on spelling mistakes.

Cooking Lager said...

You can have my place if you want Rob. I'm not doing anything with it. You can have it for a four pack of stella.

Paul Garrard said...

Perhaps block ranking should be decided by “who has the biggest cock” !
Not sure how the ladies would get on with that though. bugger flaw in the plan.

The Beer Nut said...

I think most of the beer-blogging ladies have access to one, so the simple solution is proxy cock.