An artisanally crafted blog curated by Cooking Lager for discerning readers of beer bloggery

Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Mr Whippy

Still polishing off the Xmas grog (including in this case stuff you buy for guests rather than yourself) and decided it was time to finish off the remaining cooking bitter. What bizarre foam? At one point I took a gulp and the foam and beer separated leaving a space before the foam fell gently back on top of the beer. After a few cans I got a real Mr Whippy effect. Really odd stuff. It was the last of the Boddies widget bitter. Will be sticking to regular carbonated keg beer in future, not sure about this widget foam. A chemical concoction too far. Gave every appearance of being too much like washing up liquid and too little like proper beer foam. Now I’m all for a bit of science, technology and innovation and consider beer to be an industrial product regardless of the scale it is brewed at. I like and value consistency and am more interested in necking a nice drink than discovering new nasty flavours to make me wince and then pretend its brewing artful craft beers and not just piss poor hygiene standards. But I think I can do without this odd foam.

The beer wasn’t that bad. Not much to say about it, a neckable easy going grog that’s piss weak enough to require a skinfull before you feel it. I’d have preferred it without the Mr Whippy effect.

6 comments:

Ken Davidson said...

My neighbour would call it 'belly wash with a shaving foam head'.

Cooking Lager said...

Shaving foam sounds about right. I'm not usually bothered about idiocy in regard to chemical piss. but this stuff clearly had a mass of heading chemicals.
Most of the scare about additives is nonsense and displays a misunderstanding of chemistry, specifically the importance of quantity in toxicity. Vitamin C is more toxic than fluoride for instance. Food additives are safe and more often than not natural extracts of compounds most are happy to consume in their natural form.
It’s just I didn’t like it much and preferred regular carbonated piss to this soapy piss.

Curmudgeon said...

On the rare occasions when I've tried this (many years ago) I always felt the foam on widget cans had a soapy, detergentish quality.

WV = prone :-)

Adrian Tierney-Jones said...

too much vitamin C and it goes through you like the Flying Scotsman.

zythophile said...

Too much Vitamin E will kill you - that's why you should never eat polar bear's liver …

Whorst said...

Bowel mites can reek havoc on a system.